- 1 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of grated cheese
- 3/4 pound pork sausage, diced or crumbled
- 3 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small yellow or white onion, chopped
- 1 can of tomato paste
- Basil, Garlic and Oregano
- 1 can (14 oz each) chicken broth
- 8 ounces peeled and deveined medium shrimp without tails, thawed if frozen
· STEP ONE
Cook rice as directed on package, omitting salt.
· STEP TWO
Meanwhile, melt butter in large saucepan on medium heat. Stir in flour and 1/4 cup cheese; cook and stir 5 minutes or until mixture comes to boil. Add sausage, celery, pepper and onion; cook 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in undrained tomatoes, chicken broth and shrimp; cook 10 minutes or until mixture is heated through and shrimp are done, stirring occasionally.
· STEP THREE
Spoon shrimp mixture over rice; top with remaining cheese.
Photo Credit: www.myrecipes.com